I know EVERYONE has a “best ever” pizza crust recipe. Well here is my “best ever sourdough pizza crust recipe” to add to the mix. In an effort to make traditional foods, XYZ Major Pizza chain is not an option. Plus, having 5 kids, its really not in the budget for us.
You’ll want to start your pizza crust in the morning to have enough souring time. Don’t fret it takes maybe 5 minutes to throw it together. Wisk together warm water, sugar, sourdough starter, and yeast. I put 1 tsp of yeast just in case my sourdough starter is being lazy (ie, been in the fridge a while and not very active).
Add in the flour (best flour is Organic Unbleached Bread Flour) and Real salt. Knead until smooth.
Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the dough to keep it from drying out. Sour the dough for 5-7 hours. This is a good amount of time for it to rise but not get overly sour.
The dough will be soft and airy. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Preheat oven to 425
Divide dough into 3 equal parts. This will make 3 8-10″ thin crust pizzas.
Roll one ball of dough out into a circle.
I par bake one side of the pizza crust. The easiest way I’ve found to get the crust into the oven is to roll the dough onto the rolling pin. Make sure you lightly dust the dough with flour so you don’t have any stickage.
Unroll pizza dough onto the preheated pizza stone. Par bake about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the crust over and decorate the par baked side of the crust.
Bake 8-10 minutes.
Sourdough Pizza Dough
- ½ cup sourdough starter **see notes
- 1¼ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp yeast
- 4 cups organic bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- Wisk together sugar, sourdough starter, warm water, and yeast.
- With the dough hook attachment add in flour and salt. Knead until smooth.
- Sour for 5-7 hours until light and airy.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using a pizza stone put it in the oven when you start to preheat.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and knead the air out. Divide into 3 dough balls.
- With a rolling pin roll out in to an 8-10″ pizza shape. Par bake 3-5 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven, flip crust over and decorate par baked side.
- Return crust to the oven and bake 10 minutes.
To start your own sourdough starter see Sourdough Starter recipe.
*The best flour to make this crust is organic unbleached bread flour. It just has the best texture of all the flours I have tried.
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!
[…] After about 4 hours my starter was bubbling out on the kitchen counter so I tucked her away in the fridge for Friday night pizza. […]