The ultimate beef chili recipe. Rich and hearty to warm the soul on any winters eve. Simple recipe, keto approved!
Keto West Texas Chili
This low carb Texas chili can easy be made keto approved. Just omit the masa harina and you are left 0.3 carbs per serving! Add cheese and avocado and you are guaranteed to meet your macros.
Grandpa’s West Texas Chili
My grandpa always had best chili recipe. You would need to brace yourself because it always seemed so spicy. I remember coming in, around dusk, after feeding cows and serving up a huge bowl of spicy, hot, chili. My grandpa passed 20 years ago. It has taken me 15 of those years to get the chili recipe from my grandma. She is funny about sharing recipes. ( sidebar see this heritage recipe for Western Cake )
It is a must to pair a tasty beefy chili with a simple yet delicious cornbread .
This recipe makes a big batch of chili. We eat some, freeze some, and top beef enchiladas with some of the chili. Yum Yum!
Instant Pot West Texas Chili
- Instant Pot
- 6 tbsp bacon drippings or pork lard
- 3 lbs 80/20 grass fed ground beef
- 6 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp salt *make sure your using a real salt like Redmonds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper *omit if you don't like it spicy
- 1 Guajillo pepper-chopped
- 1 tbsp Red hot sauce
- 1½ quarts water
- 3 tbsp masa harina *omit for Keto version
- In a Dutch oven, heavy bottomed pot, or an Instant Pot heat the bacon drippings and brown the meat.
- Add the spices and water.
- Heat to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer 2 hours.
- Mix masa harina with 6 Tablespoons of water and add to the chili.
- If you are using your Instant Pot, after you add the spices and water, close the lid, close the pressure valve, and set to Bean/Chili setting for 55 minutes. When the chili is done release the pressure valve. If you want to add rice to your chili, add equal parts water and uncooked rice to the chili and cook on rice setting
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!