We are ready for fall and everything pumpkin spice, right? Not so fast, it’s still 97 degrees here! Sad, right? But the light outside has begun to change. The days are a little shorter and the shadows are a little different. I’m ready! Fall and Winter are my favorite times of year. While I wait for that first Northern cold front to come these sprouted einkorn pumpkin scones glazed with real maple syrup are going to fill my yearning for fall.
I started using Einkorn flour a few years ago. It has superior health benefits. Einkorn is an ancient grain so it is more genetically pure than modern wheat. The protein content is high while having a low gluten content. The taste of the Einkorn is slightly nutty.
In this recipe I use a sprouted Einkorn. The sprouting process releases the nutrients of the wheat berry allowing it to be digested easier, causing less digestive reactions. I buy the Einkorn berries by the 25lb bag from Azure and keep my sprouted, dried, and ground flour in the refrigerator. If you are interested in sprouting your own wheat berries I give step by step instructions on Sprouting Einkorn.
Sprouted Einkorn Pumpkin Scones Glazed with Real Maple Syrup
- 2 cups sprouted einkorn flour **
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (if using regular flour for this recipe omit this ¼c flour)
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup pureed pumpkin
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp grass fed butter (ie., Kerrygold)
- Real Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and butter).
- In a separate bowl whisk canned pumpkin and egg.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Add milk 1 Tablespoon at a time to get a slightly wet dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently pat into a pizza shape about 1/2″thick
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut 8 equal wedges, like cutting a pizza.
- Place wedges on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Bake at 400 for 16-18 minutes.
- Once cooked allow to cool for about 5 minutes then drizzle the top of the scone with real maple syrup.
You will want to make a cup of hot coffee or tea to sit down and relax with a delicious sprouted einkorn pumpkin scones glazed with real maple syrup. Take a moment to enjoy the changing light, smell the falling leaves, feel the cool breeze on your face. Occasionally, I will share with my kids…ha ha just kidding. Occasionally, they might leave one for me!
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!