Sprouting Einkorn Wheat Berries for Nutritious Whole Grain Flour
Sprouting einkorn wheat is so easy, its also a good way to make the wheat more digestible. If you struggle with gluten intolerance you might have positive results sprouting your wheat grains first. Einkorn wheat is a heritage wheat; meaning it hasn’t been genetically modified. I use sprouted einkorn flour for cookies, cakes, muffins and quick breads. Use as you would a pastry flour. However, if I am making sandwich bread I will use sourdough starter with some freshly ground einkorn flour instead of sprouting the wheat berries.
Simple Steps for Sprouting Einkorn Wheat Berries
Soak your einkorn wheat berries in double the water. For example, I use 4 cups of berries to 8 cups of water, in a half gallon jar. Soak overnight (8-12 hours)
- Drain the berries. I use a sprouting lid to drain the water off. A mesh colander can also be used.
- Fill and rinse the einkorn wheat berries with water. Do this twice. Make sure to drain as much of the water off as you can.
- Rinse the grains twice a day.(morning and evening)
- After a day or so you should start to notice little tails beginning to sprout from your einkorn wheat berries.
- When you notice the tails it is time to dry the einkorn berries.
Drying the Sprouted Wheat Berries
It usually only takes 6-8 hours to dry the einkorn wheat berries. I use my oven set on 160 degrees to dry my einkorn. Spread the einkorn wheat berries in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When the berries are dried and cooled it’s time to turn it in to flour.
Grinding the Freshly Sprouted Einkorn Wheat into Flour
I currently use a high speed blender to grind my flour. I blend on the highest speed for 50 seconds. However, in the future I would like to have a MockMill to grind my flour. I can always dream.
The flour will need to be stored in the refrigerator and it will need to be used within 30-60days. Easy Peasy. Let’s get baking!
What do you use your sprouted flour for? Comment below
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!