These sourdough buns are so easy. They are light, fluffy, and form a peculiar round shape when baked.
Other uses for this dough recipe
These sourdough buns can also be formed into clover leaf rolls in a muffin pan or dinner rolls. Elongate the shape and make an awesome homemade hoagie or hot dog bun.
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup sourdough starter **
- ½ tsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp grass fed butter (ie.,Kerrygold)
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 4 cup organic bread flour
- ½ tsp real salt
- 1 egg
- Combine warm water, sourdough starter (right out of the fridge is ok), yeast, butter, and sugar. Whisk together.
- Allow to bloom for 5 minutes
- Add flour, salt, and egg.
- With the dough hook attachment knead on medium for about 5 minutes until well combined.
- Drizzle with olive oil and allow to sour for 5-7 hours.
- Form into 4″ disks that are about 1″ thick…you will yield 8 of them.
- Allow to rise 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bake buns @ 400 for 15-20 minutes.
**Want to know how to start your own sourdough starter at home? Check out my step by step instruction on how to start your own sourdough starter.
If you enjoyed this recipe you might also like a sourdough pizza crust.
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!
Julie Symmes says
This is a great recipe. I use it often and am always happy with the texture and lovely flavor of the buns. The dough is silky and easy to work with.