I love green bean casserole but we didn’t eat it for many years because of all the canned and processed ingredients. After I learned how stinking easy it is to make cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, I had to give a real food green bean casserole shot. Here is my rendition. Be Blessed and Enjoy!
Real Food Green Bean Casserole
- 3 cups fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 small onion-chopped
- 4 or 5 mushrooms-chopped
- 1 jalapeno **optional
- 3 tbsp butter or lard
- 1 tbsp organic cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 clove of garlic-minced
- 2 cups grated chedder cheese
- 2 or 3 cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil green beans until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion, mushroom, and jalapeño in butter or lard until tender.
- Lower heat and add cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
- Slowly add milk and whisk until the soup mixture thickens to coat a spoon.
- Pour soup mixture in with green beans and add garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake uncovered @ 350 for 40 minutes. If the topping starts getting too brown too soon you can cover it. You want the cheese to get a little brown and crispy.
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!