Homemade Soft Flour Tortillas
Soft, roll-able, warm flour tortillas. Perfect for tacos or smeared with butter.
The struggles with from scratch cooking, sometimes it can take a long while to master a recipe. This is such the case with homemade tortillas. We eat a lot of tortillas and I hated buying them with all the mystery ingredients.
I have been trying to make soft flour tortillas about 12 years. Fear not, I have a soft tortilla recipe. The secret, pork lard. Make sure you source your pork lard from a reputable source. You can render your own or Epic brand has a good pork lard. Side bar here…you can also use butter if you can’t get quality lard.
Soft Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups Organic Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder aluminum free
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp pork lard (you can also use butter)
- 1 C boiling water
- Mix everything in a bowl.
- Knead with your hands until a smooth play dough textured dough is formed. About 2 minutes.
- Form 16 balls of dough.
- Let dough rest 30 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on Med-Low
- Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin as thin as you can get it.
- Cook on each side about 1 minute
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!