Jump to Recipe
Instant pot bread is the easiest way to rise and sour sourdough bread. This instant pot sourdough brown bread has so many different applications. It is slightly sweet so can pair with a plain ‘ole peanut butter and jelly but it is also dark and earthy so it can go well with a turkey and Swiss cheese. A mysterious bread that could also make a delicious Reuben sandwich. There is also an aspect that beckons for some spicy mustard. Your call see what is says to you.
Instant Pot Sourdough Brown Bread
Really, this is a no-fuss artisan type bread. Using up left over coffee (if that is really a thing 🙂 ) , starting this delicious bread in the morning, and rising it in the instant pot, by dinner time you will have the perfect accompaniment.
Rising and souring your bread in the instant pot is the easiest way to proof your bread. When it is time to sour/rise your bread place the dough in an oiled and parchment lined instant pot. Set your instant pot to the “yogurt” setting for 5-7 hours.
If you aren’t using an instant pot your rise time maybe a little longer. You could use a warm oven or a warm spot on the counter.
The Dutch Oven or Clay Baker
This bread does really well cooked in a dutch oven or clay baker. The high heat and steaming ability of the closed lid cooking really fairs well for this bread. You are left with a soft chewy loaf of bread.
Sourdough Brown Bread
- Clay Baker
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup warm coffee
- ½ cup sourdough starter **see notes
- 4 cups organic bread flour
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup honey (you can omit the honey if you would like a more savory bread)
- 2 Tbsp grass fed butter
- ½ tsp real salt
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- Whisk together coffee, butter, molasses, and honey.
- Wait about 15 minutes for the coffee mixture to cool.
- Whisk in sourdough starter.
- With the dough hook attachment add in flour, cocoa, salt.
- Mix on medium speed 3 minutes. Then reduce speed to low and knead for 5 minutes.
- If you notice the dough too saggy you can add a little more flour.
- Rise /sour for 5-7 hours.
- After rise/sour time punch down. Let dough rise/rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400° I use the 3 quart clay cooker . ..I put it into the oven during the preheat time. You could also use two standard loaf pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Let rest and cool 15 minutes after removing from the oven.
A Note about Sourdough
Sourdough has been proven to be beneficial for gut heath. The souring process releases nutrients and makes them more bio-available to the body. I have the easiest sourdough starter recipe.
**This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive compensations for my referral, endorsement, or review of a product or link to a product. This does not cost you anything or change your price. Thank you! I am truly grateful!